We knew we were having a girl before she arrived. We'd narrowed names down to 2: Poppy or Annabel, so friends used to call my bump Poppabel. But when she was born, the OH turned to me and said "how about Emily?", our 3rd choice of name. After a proper look at her I agreed. So she's Emily, as it was a name we both liked, picked (in my mind) in reminder of the little girl from Bagpuss, who was independent enough to have a shop at a young age, and kind to all things. Of course, I have since discovered that Emily is the second most popular name for 2012, which saddens me. I hated having a common name, and was determined no child of mine would suffer the same. Then repeated the pattern by accident. Oops.
For this blog, Emily is referred to as ET. Mainly because when she walks, she toddles just like ET did in his film, and when she first learned to talk, she sounded a bit like him too. I like her funny walk/run. It's cute. What else is there to know about her? Wellll.....
- ET is destined to be short and curvy like her Mum. She's got scrumptious chubby arms and legs, with a proper little toddler belly. She's healthy, it's just her natural shape. She's got fine, short blonde hair and hazel eyes with a bit of green in them. Her hair took ages to grow. She's never needed a proper haircut cut. Looked like a balding monk for ages.
- She's a chatterbox. Always has been, once she learned some words. Her language development always came before her ability to do things physically. Therefore she gets cross when she knows what she wants to do and can't do it. She still can't jump. But we get to have little conversations together.
- ET is not a "hugger" unless she chooses to hug you. I force cuddles upon her but she tends to only want them if she feels poorly, or it's first thing in the morning. I got more when she was a baby. I miss them. Some of her toddler friends are huggy and when they go to cuddle her she recoils away. I feel bad for them. Family are allowed to cuddle her but she'll "want to get down" after 2 seconds.
- ET is "a grown up". Apparently. Commonly heard to be saying "I want to do it myself!". Or, when we tell her it's time to go shopping, "I stay here on my own!". Like hell!
- ET seems to be a fairly bright little monkey. Therefore we have to be careful what we say/do around her because her memory is miles better than mine. Give in to something and she'd remember FOREVER. Sometimes she has an episode of being naughty not because she wants something, but because she remembers that she behaved that way before and wants to test me. All the while with a cheeky grin on her face, and usually involving rolling on the floor of the local supermarket.
- She loves books. Can't get enough of them. Especially Maisie, Meg & Mog, Mog the Cat, Peppa Pig, and anything by the authors of The Gruffalo, or Janet & Alan Ahlberg.
- ET has a serious face. Always thnking, you can see her brain ticking. You wouldn't describe her as a "sunny baby", even though she's happy. Too serious for that. But she still loves a giggle.
Please feel free to subscribe to this blog and share anything of interest. If you never read again, that's fine too. ET, OH & I will carry on growing up regardless. Thanks for reading.