Wednesday, 24 December 2014

Christmas-itis

Christmas Eve today, and I went off to work. When I came home, ET was cooking with the OH, peeling garlic cloves and tossing veg in oil. They looked adorable together. She has a little step in the kitchen that she uses to reach the worktop, and at the moment thinks cooking is fun. So we're encouraging her to help us, as she eats more that way.

My OH told me that earlier in the day she was playing with water in the sink when he found her eating the dish sponge. He put a stop to that, and then later turned round when she said "I've got a dummy", only to see her with the sink drainer in her mouth! Yuk.

We've just sprinkled reindeer food around, left cookies for Father Christmas, and put her stocking on her bedroom door. She then went off to bed quite happily. It felt very magical, as she understands what's going on this year for the first time. I wonder what time we'll be woken up in the morning?!

My Grandma always used to say that my siblings and I had "Christmas-itis" when we got excited on Christmas Eve. I'm more excited this year than I've been for a long time. The OH jokes that I will struggle to sleep tonight more than ET, and he's probably right! I will have to try to remain calm to sleep :-).

But there's something so hectic about trying to be ready for Christmas. Like the last shopping trip on Tuesday to get the last minute food items from the supermarket. Crazy busy, queues everywhere, all for some sprouts. Then there was a moment at work today, when I was thinking that when I got home I would have to:

* Dust and hoover in preparation for tomorrow
* Complete paperwork for job no 2 to be bang up to date so I can relax
* Go and buy petrol and clear out the junk in the car. Put the car CD's back in the right boxes and hoover the inside.
* Paint my nails
* Tidy up and put my washing away.
* Have tea and clear up
* Sort out the little one for bed.

But frankly, with some encouragement from OH, some of those things have been abandoned in favour of drinking fizz in front of the TV, and stopping to enjoy Christmas. A better idea. A bit of calm before the storm. We've got family coming tomorrow and then we're seeing more from Boxing Day, and we have 11 days off work together! We're really looking forward to it. So here's a toast to you all. Merry Christmas. 



No comments:

Post a Comment